First and foremost, to configure mkrotik Access point, connecting to the mikrotik router via winbox has to be the first step. Then the configuration process follows after that. This artices outlies the steps that one needs so as to successfully configure mkrotik as Access point for an internet connecton.
The following steps have to be followed from connecting via the winbox to the final step of configuring mkrotik as Access point:
- Make sure that the antennas are connected and the interphase configured. This s done by double clicking on an interphase name. This opens a config window. On this window, chose AP bridge mode. This set the device as an AP. In this case the device to be set as an AP is the mikrotik router.
- Open the wireless interphase window in winbox, click on the blue Enable button to enable all the wireless cards that are disabled.
- Then configure WPA2 security to secure the AP. Click on OK button to close the wireless setting window and move to the security profile tab of the wireless interphase window.
- Press the add button and set a new profile with a different WPA2. A security car that works better with you. However, this can be done back in the interphase configuration.
- Go to the wireless interphase window on the Registration table tab and check if any stations are connected to your access point.
- Go to the IP menu to configure the AP`s IP address. Set up a DHCP server in this router the stations you are configuring have no IP addresses from the same subnet.
- Configure SRC-NAT. This assists the stations to have access to the internet via their private P addresses. Note that this step is needed only if the ISP does not know about the new local network and hasn’t set up proper routes to it.
- Then setup wireless interphase. This is done by setting mode to ap_bridge, band to ap_operated_band, frequency to ap_operated_frequency and ssid to network_identification.
- At this point, the wireless connection is established. Now add IP address for the wireless interface for IP routing.
- Now you are ready to configure stations. This is done by connecting to the client router via the same way and then proceeding to the Wireless interface configuration.
- Finally configure IP address. This s done by adding the IP address to access point router.
- Add IP address to the client router. This IP address should be from the same subnet as the first one.
The above steps are the steps to followed for a successful configuration for mikrotik AP