Power beam is a high performance integrated wireless device for point to point and also point to multi point connection solutions. Different power beam models have different transmit powers. For instance 150 mbps throughput on 30km distance for PBE-M5-620. We will discuss the steps taken to configure the light/power beam for a point to point data transmission.
First and foremost, 2 devices are needed. These devices are configured in different modes. The local side as access point mode and the remote side device as client mode.
- A PoE adapter is used to power on the device (it comes with the power beam adapter). This is done by Cat6 LAN cable from PoE out port in adapter to device LAN port. Connect the laptop/computer in PoE adapter LAN port
- On your laptop, paste 192.168.1.10 IP address on the address tab and login into UBNT Power beam with default username and password as ubnt and ubnt respectively.
- After you are logged in, choose your country and country language from the list, agree to the terms and conditions and then hit login button.
- At this point, the devices on both the local and remote sides is configured.
- Click on the settings gear at the right side top of the window.
- Save the wireless mode as ACCESS POINT PTP
- Use a unique name to set your SSID. Any name that you wish.
- Set the channel width according to area interphase. 40/80 MHZ is recommended but 40 MHZ for high interphases.
- Set your frequency also according to area interphase. (To find the area frequency, a wireless analyser is used )
- Use the point to point link security key to protect your wireless link at the wireless security.
- Reduce the power according to your point to point devices distance.
- Hit save changes button to apply settings.
- All the devices come with the same IP address. It is therefore recommended that you your IP address so as to avoid point to point connection conflict. This is done by:
- Go to the network tab on the top menu.
- Change IP address on the IP ADDRESS box.
- Keep the access point on and connect to the second point for client configuration.
- Site B is configured as client mode. Go ahead and configure the client mode. This is done by:
- Login and go to the settings gear.
- Then wireless tab.
- Chose station PTP on the wireless mode
- Press the select button to scan for the access point device.
- Select you access point name or try rescanning if it does not show the name
- Press the save changes button.
- At this point, the device will reboot. You will then login again and see the connection status and signal strength i.e. local RX DATA rate and remote RX data rate.
These steps are going to assist you configure your light/power beam as point for point data transmission. Note that the firmware used for you devices have also to be in a good state that is you have to ensure that they are up to date