A router assists a lot in the sharing of the internet and this makes it very important for our offices and homes. However, losing a router password can be a challenge as this can lead to difficulties in changing the router settings and also sharing of the internet in some cases. First and foremost one needs to now that the default WI-FI password on the back or the underside of the routers. This article outlines the steps that one can use in changing a router password and reset the passwords to default.
The following steps will assist in successfully changing of a router password. Note that these steps can be used if you remember your password. In case one has forgotten their password, they have to reset the password to default password first before changing the password.
- Make sure that you are connected to the network.
- Open a new web browser window.
- Type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press enter.
- On the right hand menu, select something to do with wireless password. This depends on the router type as on others you may have to select wireless, setup or wireless settings.
- Enter the default router settings username and password or the one that you have been using. If the login details do not work, the need to reset your router arises. Note that if you reset the router, it will lose any personalised router settings.
- Enter the new network key that you want to use and then select apply.
- Reconnect all the devices using the new password.
- In cases where the passwords are forgotten, the need to reset the router password arises. In this case, all the connected devices disconnect as you reset your password.
- The above method can also be used in resetting the password. The other convenient method is:
- Long pressing The Reset button for at least five seconds on the router.
- This resets your password to a default password or network security key found on the back or underside of the router.
- Reconnect all your devices using the new password as they all disconnected when the password was reset.
These steps should be of great assistance in the resetting and changing of router passwords.